International Journal of Advanced Educational Research


ISSN: 2455-6157

Vol. 3, Issue 1 (2018)

Economic profile of Jammu & Kashmir state: An overview

Author(s): Dr. Yash Paul
Abstract: The purpose of this research paper is to highlight the material and human resources available in J&K State and also to discuss the present economic activities being carried on in the State. The study also focuses on the potential entrepreneurial activities in the state of Jammu & Kashmir. Jammu & Kashmir state is located at the Northern-most part of the country. The total area of the State is 2,22,236 sq. km of which 78,114 sq. km is under illegal occupation of Pakistan and 37,555 sq. km under China. In addition 5,180 sq. km area of J&K was illegally ceded to China by Pakistan. J&K is the 6th largest State of India occupying 6.76% of country’s geographical area. The State has abundant water resources in view of its blessed riverine geography. The State is surrounded by mountains except in the South- West side. A major portion of State’s terrain is hilly and its height from sea level varies from 3,000 feet to 22,740 feet. The State has road and air links with rest of the country through South making it accessible from the South only. The rail link is up to Udhampur only. As per Quick Manual Results of 6th Economic Census 2013 there are 5,07,372 establishments located in J&K engaged in different economic activities other than crop production, plantation, public administration, defense and compulsory social security. Out of which 3,04,207 establishments constituting 59.96% are in rural J&K and remaining 40.04% with 2,03,165 establishments in urban areas. The economy of J&K state is predominantly agricultural. The state of J&K offers a challenge to planners as well as administrators in tackling manifold problems associated with the economic backwardness of the State. In the present study, an effort has been made by the researcher to analyze the different facets of State economy. Efforts made by the government and other agencies like banking sector, other financial institutions, etc. have also been studied carefully. The purpose of the present study is to provide a road map for further growth and development of economy of the state.
Pages: 114-119  |  5022 Views  4569 Downloads
library subscription